Immigration Blog

View the blogs separated by individual authors.

MD Faces Music on Drivers Licenses

Maryland Motor Vehicle Administrator John Kuo and Transportation Secretary John Porcari testified jointly in Annapolis on December 16, 2008, that a lawful status requirement for driver’s licenses was necessary in Maryland, and asked for an emergency response by the legislature. I blogged at the time about the growing Maryland discomfort with their own policies in What Illegal Immigration Has Got to Do with Driver Licenses: Maryland’s Lament.

Update on PASS ID Act negotiations

The National Governors Association (NGA) is continuing to negotiate its bill called PASS ID Act (analyzed in my April 6, 2009 Backgrounder "The Appearance of Security: REAL ID Final Regulations vs. PASS ID Act of 2009"). The March 27, 2009 bill draft I analyzed continues to be honed, with the goal of introducing it (so I'm told) in conjunction with the National Conference of State Legislatures' Spring Forums in Washington, D.C., April 22-25, 2009.

ACLU-UNC Wrong on 287(g)

The University of North Carolina School of Law recently joined forces with the ACLU and published a report aimed at stopping ICE cooperation with state and local law enforcement. The paper also advocates mass, illegal-alien amnesty.

Topics: 287(g) Program

Castaneda to Calderon

Press Obama for the whole enchilada

In a column today in Mexico's Reforma newspaper, former Mexican Foreign Minister Jorge Castaneda writes that President Felipe Calderon should press President Obama not only for a sweeping legalization of illegal aliens but also for a temporary worker program. The column appears as Obama and Calderon are due to meet in Mexico City.

New DHS Report on Non-immigrant Admissions

From the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Immigration Statistics:

During 2008, there were 175 million nonimmigrant admissions to the United States according to DHS workload estimates. These included tourists and business travelers from Canada, Mexican nationals with Border Crossing Cards, and all admissions requiring the submission of an I-94 form. I-94 admissions accounted for 23 percent (39 million) of the total admissions. The majority (90 percent) of I-94 admissions were short-term visitors, such as tourists and business travelers, while the remaining 10 percent (3.7 million) were temporary residents characterized by a longer duration of stay, such as specialty workers, students, and nurses. The leading countries of citizenship for I-94 admissions were Mexico, the United Kingdom, and Japan.

The report is online: “Nonimmigrant Admissions to the United States: 2008

Subscribe to Center for Immigration Studies Blog